The biggest change at this year’s Handbuilt Show in Austin, Texas – the fifth one in a row – was its move to the much roomier Austin American Statesman venue in the heart of downtown Austin. Continue reading Handbuilt Show 2018
Custom Bike scene surges at J&P Cycles UBCBS
I don’t want to write some long winded post, but I do want you to have a glimpse of a man that may have very well been the industries greatest artistic motorcycle builder. Jerry Graves left us long before his time, but my time with him at his shop, Red’s & Candice’s home at what was Brighton Bikeworks, and events such as in Daytona & Myrtle Beach, I can’t say enough about this man’s vision & talent. Enjoy the images. Jack McIntyre
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (March 6, 2018) – Starting with DAYTONA Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship and running through the historic 77th DAYTONA 200, there is non-stop excitement and entertainment on and off the track during Bike Week at Daytona International Speedway.
Bike Week At DAYTONA, which begins Friday, March 9 and runs through Sunday, March 18, is packed with fan activities.
- On the track: Daytona International Speedway boasts a diverse racing schedule including:
- DAYTONA Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship,Saturday March 10
- Ricky Carmichael Amateur Supercross, Sunday, March 11-Monday, March 12
- The fourth annual FLY Racing ATV Supercross, Tuesday, March 13
- American Flat Track’s DAYTONA TT, Thursday night, March 15: The popular eventGives guests another opportunity to enjoy the motorsports stadium during Bike Week with a staged course in the tri-oval of the Speedway. Harley-Davidson and Indian will battle on a one-of-a-kind race circuit re-engineered to feature a bigger, better and faster track design.
- The DAYTONA 200 American SportBike Racing Association (ASRA) race, Saturday, March 17: America’s most historic motorcycle race, with three-time race champion Danny Eslick returning to defend his title and claim the $175,000 purse and the Rolex Cosmograph Daytona watch.
- ASRA and the Championship Cup Series (CCS), Friday, March 16-Sunday, March 18: The two series will host a full schedule of road races.
- Free demo rides: Located in the Midway between the stadium and International Speedway Blvd., motorcycle enthusiasts can take the hottest motorcycles for a test ride with free manufacturer demo rides from March 9-17. Riders must have a DOT-approved helmet and motorcycle endorsement on their driver’s license to participate. Motorcycle manufacturers participating in demo rides include Harley-Davidson, Honda, Indian, Kawasaki, Slingshot and Yamaha.
- Midway: Inside the free Midway, motorcycle enthusiasts will find the area’s largest motorcycle marketplace with one-stop shopping with the nation’s top motorcycle parts and apparel vendors all while enjoying live music on the Harley-Davidson Thunder Alley Stage.
- Harley-Davidson Thunder Alley at Daytona: Bikers can spend the day inside Harley-Davidson Thunder Alley enjoying a cold Budweiser and great food next to the area’s largest vendor, display and demo ride marketplace. Harley-Davidson Thunder Alley will also showcase live music and contests.
- Full Throttle Magazine Speedway Bike Show presented by GEICO: The Full Throttle Magazine Speedway Bike Show presented by GEICO will take place on Saturday, March 17 next to Harley- Davidson Thunder Alley. Registration is from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. with a $20 entry fee per bike. The awards presentation will be held at 5 p.m. on the Harley-Davidson Thunder Alley Stage. Trophies
The Mama Tried Show is not a competition but that doesn’t mean builders and visitors alike don’t make comparisons. It was apparent at the 2018 show that one bike stopped people in their tracks: the hand built motorcycle by Enrico de Haas of Hüttenberg, Germany.
In addition to its alloy, jewelry-like finish, what drew in most people was the super sanitary look and evident lack of connection between motor and drivetrain – unnecessary elements because the bike is electric! That factor also figures into the bike’s light weight: 80 kilos or 176.37 pounds. Super slight for a rideable running motorcycle by either measure.
You might notice words and letters carved into many of the bike’s metal elements, such as Soli Deo Gloria. What’s this about? It’s Enrico’s nod to artists of Baroque and Medieval times who often added them—or just the three initials “s.d.g”—to their work. It stands for Soli Deo Gloria, Glory to God Alone.
Learn more about Ricky’s Wannabe Choppers at: