Contact: Jen Hoyer (414) 343-7092
HARLEY-DAVIDSON BUSTS OUT TWO MORE NEW BIKES
The Return of the Rebellious Low Rider; Tour-Ready SuperLow 1200T Revealed
MILWAUKEE (March 6, 2014) – Harley-Davidson® (NYSE:HOG) is at it again. Fresh off the unveiling of the new Harley-Davidson Street™ 750 and the launch of Project RUSHMORE, the company unleashed today two new motorcycles that expand its diverse line-up of street bikes, and put more models for more riders on the showroom floor of each Harley-Davidson dealer.
The mid-year release of the retro-cool Low Rider® and rangy SuperLow® 1200T completes the largest new-model launch in Harley-Davidson’s 110-year history and keeps the throttle pinned on the company’s accelerated, customer-led product-development process.
“It’s been a fantastic six months for us,” said Matt Levatich, Harley-Davidson Motor Company President and Chief Operating Officer. “First Project RUSHMORE, then Harley-Davidson Street, now the new SuperLow 1200T and Low Rider models — all are the result of being customer led and delivering riders the technical prowess and rebellious spirit that they want infused in each and every new Harley.”
In 1977, Harley-Davidson created a ride-it-hard, put-it-away dirty, make-your-own-boundaries custom motorcycle that became an icon – the Low Rider. Today that defiant attitude returns with a vengeance as the legendary Low Rider model name is reprised for an all-new cruiser that rolls with old-school class and exciting new performance. A polished headlamp visor, wrinkle black trim, and split five-spoke aluminum wheels are touchstone styling elements from the original Low Rider model.
The unrelenting thrust of the Twin Cam 103™ powertrain signals departure with a satisfying, throaty tone through twisting header pipes feeding a 2-into-1 exhaust. Suspension is calibrated for all-day comfort and precise handling, while dual-front disc brakes deliver capable stopping power. The new adjustable seat and handlebar risers enable a perfect fit for more riders. Ample Genuine Motor Accessories offer endless possibilities for self-expression, so any rider can own the look and own the road.
Harley-Davidson opens the door to touring adventure with the SuperLow 1200T, a motorcycle that combines a nimble chassis with essential touring features and the power to ride to the horizon. A detachable windshield, locking saddlebags and Michelin® Scorcher™ 11T touring tires are standard equipment. Docking points accommodate detachable accessory racks and backrests for ease of customization.
A new seat and control ergonomics are shaped specifically to give more riders long-distance comfort. The SuperLow 1200T can run with the pack thanks to the power of a 1200cc Evolution® V-Twin engine, and it weighs 118 pounds less than the lightest Harley-Davidson Big Twin touring motorcycle. The finish is premium Harley-Davidson with aluminum wheels, an available two-tone paint scheme and plenty of brilliant chrome.
To swing a leg over a new Harley-Davidson motorcycle visit h-d.com to find a local dealer. The Low Rider and SuperLow 1200T models start arriving today in dealerships across the country, and are available to demo during Daytona Bike Week at the Harley-Davidson display at the Speedway.
About Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson® motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson’s website at www.h-d.com.
REBORN LOW RIDER REVIVES ICONIC HARLEY-DAVIDSON STYLE & STANCE
Rugged Dyna Custom Delivers Kick-Ass Performance and Perfect-Fit Ergonomics
MILWAUKEE (March 6, 2014) – In 1977, Harley-Davidson® created a ride-it-hard, put-it-away dirty, make-your-own-boundaries custom motorcycle that became an icon – the Low Rider® model. Today after a five-year hiatus the legendary Low Rider motorcycle returns, reborn with timeless Harley-Davidson custom cruiser styling and exciting new performance, primed to set free anyone who craves the taste of freedom. With an innovative ergonomic design that easily adjusts to provide a perfect fit, the new Low Rider motorcycle is a Big Twin for every rider. Available now as a mid-year 2014 model, it’s absolutely, unmistakably Harley-Davidson.
The new Low Rider responds with assertive authority to rider input, the unrelenting thrust of its Twin Cam 103™ powertrain harnessed in an agile Harley-Davidson Dyna® chassis. Michelin® Scorcher™ tires are mated with suspension calibrated for all-day comfort and precise handling, featuring stout 49mm forks and new coil-over rear shocks, both with tri-rate springs. Dual front disc brakes deliver ample stopping power. Sculpted header pipes feed a 2-into-1 exhaust that emits a satisfying, throaty tone. Stop light-to-stop light or on the open highway, the Low Rider delivers exhilarating performance.
Informed by the same accelerated, customer-led product development process that propelled Project RUSHMORE, the new Low Rider is designed to fit a broad range of riders in a confident, comfortable riding position straight from the factory. Harley-Davidson leveraged the science of ergonomics to develop a “perfect fit” rider position utilizing three key features: a two-position seat, an adjustable handlebar riser, which can each be easily adjusted by the dealer using simple hand tools, and footpegs that are relocated two inches forward. The Low Rider still lives up to its name; seat height is just 25.4 inches.
“We wanted the new Low Rider to offer an expanded comfort envelope, and worked in three stages toward that goal,” said Paul Weiss, lead engineer on the Low Rider project. “We started with live feedback from riders of all sizes, and then employed Pro/Engineer computer simulations of posture and riding positions to project the best locations for rider controls.”
Computer-generated rider triangles representing the extremes of the biometric targets – 5’ 1” to 6’ 1” in height – were overlaid on the Dyna chassis. These triangles depicted not just the reach of the respective riders, but also the more critical comfort zones within the range of reach.
“We next had to design solutions we could put into production,” said Weiss. “Inspired by the idea that you’d adjust a car seat to meet the controls, we devised the two-position Low Rider seat that can move the rider forward or backward 1.5 inches. By next adding handlebar adjustability, we were able to accommodate the riders in our defined comfort envelope. The final change was relocating the footpegs two inches forward of the previous Dyna mid-mount position.”
Harley-Davidson Engineering and Styling departments next collaborated on the design of a seat with a removable bolster, secured by two concealed screws, to provide the desired range of seating position. A new headlamp visor bolts to the upper triple clamp and provides the fixture to support the adjustable handlebar riser, secured by four easy-access hex-head bolts.
“The Low Rider represents intense collaboration between the Harley-Davidson Styling and Engineering staffs,” said lead stylist Tony Pink. “Engineering created some innovative solutions to expand the comfort envelope of the Low Rider, and our styling team successfully incorporated those features while maintaining the premium finish our customers associate with Harley-Davidson.”
The original Low Rider set a styling benchmark when it was introduced in 1977, and Harley-Davidson designers went back to that milestone motorcycle for inspiration in creating a new Low Rider with a look that’s timeless and authentic.
“Our styling team envisioned a new motorcycle with rugged, universal appeal,” said Pink. “The use of wrinkle-black paint on the powertrain, wheels, console and trim are key to the new look. The visor and suspended headlamp are also touchstone styling elements we wanted on this new Low Rider. Like the original, this new Low Rider rolls on cast-aluminum wheels; the new ones feature this tough split five-spoke design. We’ve achieved a look that’s purebred, classic Harley-Davidson.”
Key Low Rider Features
· Rubber-mounted Twin Cam 103™ engine is rated at 99 ft. lbs. of torque at 3500 rpm. The engine is equipped with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI) and Automatic Compression Release (ACR), and is mated to a 6-speed Cruise Drive® transmission. The powertrain is finished in wrinkle black powder coat with chrome-plated covers.
· Unique handlebar riser offers 2.4 inches of adjustment and seamless integration.
· Two-position ergonomic seat is tuned to fit a broad range of riders with a removable bolster that moves the rider 1.5 inches forward; laden seat height is 25.4 inches. High-performance perforated seat cover features a classic stitching pattern.
· Mid-mount foot controls are positioned to best fit most riders with an in-command riding position.
· Split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels feature a classic, muscular look. The wheels are finished in wrinkle black with diamond cut highlights
· Chrome 2-into-1 exhaust emits a throaty sound and pays homage to the original Low Rider.
· Wrinkle black console holds an analog speedometer and analog tachometer. Indicator lights are integrated into the tachometer.
· Chrome-plated rear fender strut covers feature wrinkle black cutouts.
· Chrome-plated battery box insert with wrinkle black highlights.
· Classic headlamp visor.
· Polished front end.
· Dual disc front brakes.
· Suspension features 49mm front forks and coil-over rear shocks, both with tri-rate springs; each tuned to deliver all-day comfort and excellent performance.
· Michelin® Scorcher™ tires.
· Custom ignition switch located on the left side of the motorcycle.
· H-D® Smart Security System with hands-free, proximity-based security fob as a factory-installed option.
· Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS) is a factory-installed option, standard in select markets.
· Chrome steel-laced wheels an available option in select markets
NEW HARLEY-DAVIDSON® SUPERLOW® 1200T HUNGRY FOR THE HORIZON
Nimble Sportster Tour-Ready with Bags, Windshield and Adjustable Suspension
MILWAUKEE (March 6, 2014) – The new Harley-Davidson® SuperLow® 1200T motorcycle opens the door to freedom. A Sportster® model equipped with essential touring features, the SuperLow 1200T model is created specifically to get more riders on the long-haul route to adventure aboard a with the signature style, comfort and prestige of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle. The SuperLow 1200T is available now as a mid-year 2014 model introduction.
In creating the SuperLow 1200T, Harley-Davidson has for the first time combined its nimble SuperLow chassis with the performance of an Evolution® 1200 V-Twin engine. A new suspension and tire package is ready to go the distance with luggage and a passenger on board. Its ergonomics are calibrated to offer riders from 5’ 1” to 5’ 7” in height an easy reach to the ground, handlebar and foot controls. The SuperLow 1200T weighs 118 pounds less than the lightest Harley-Davidson Big Twin touring motorcycle.
“The SuperLow 1200T is a new motorcycle driven by the voice of our customers, and by customer action,” said Jennifer Gersch, Harley-Davidson Product Planning Manager. “Many riders seeking an entry point to the touring experience have been putting together a bike like this on their own. We’ve added ergonomic adjustments and a selection of touring accessories to a motorcycle platform that is already popular with our customers. They can tour on a great-looking motorcycle that offers performance and inspires confidence, while experiencing those life-defining moments that can only be encountered on the open road.”
Touring features of the SuperLow 1200T include locking saddlebags and a detachable windshield. The saddlebag mounting hardware incorporates quick-detachable docking points to make it possible to easily add an accessory rack or backrest. The rear shock absorbers offer easy pre-load adjustment to accommodate the weight of luggage and a passenger on the two-up Reduced Reach® touring seat. Mini footboards provide added comfort for the rider and passenger, and the rider foot position is three inches forward from the SuperLow® 883 model to make it easier to place feet flat on the ground and to reach the side stand.
The SuperLow 1200T owner rides on a motorcycle that’s pure, premium Harley-Davidson with black and silver split five-spoke cast aluminum wheels, a special cloisonné tank medallion and plenty of brilliant chrome. Both solid and two-tone paint schemes are available.
The SuperLow 1200T features the same easy-handling chassis dynamics originally developed for the SuperLow 883. Fork angle, wheel sizes and radial tires were engineered as a package to reduce steering effort and provide responsive handling. Available as factory-installed options, the Anti-lock Braking System and H-D® Smart Security System with a proximity-based security fob and keyless ignition offer additional confidence-inspiring control.
Premium performance brakes feature a 300mm front rotor, a rigid front brake caliper with dual 34mm pistons, and a high-efficiency aluminum front master cylinder. Rear brake rotor diameter is 260mm with dual 38mm pistons. Front and rear brakes are fitted with Original Equipment braided stainless steel brake lines that resist abrasion and enhance brake feel.
An electrical system update to all 2014 Sportster® models incorporates an analog speedometer with digital tachometer, restyled ergonomic hand controls, an updated wire harness and voltage regulator. The new hand controls include a left-hand trip switch to toggle through screen displays on the speedometer, including an odometer, tripmeter, gear indicator and RPM display. Additionally, new oil tank and side cover designs make it easier to access and service the battery and diagnostic terminal.
Key SuperLow 1200T Features
· An air-cooled Evolution® 1200cc V-Twin engine with Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI), rated at 71 ft. lbs. peak torque at 3500 rpm, has a broad powerband for easy get-away from a stop and smooth power out of corners. The powertrain is finished in black powder coat with chrome-plated covers.
· Reduced Reach® two-up touring seat moves the rider forward and features a narrow nose for an easy reach to the ground. Seat height is 26.1 inches.
· Rear suspension features a right-side twin tube and a left-side dial adjustable emulsion shock with an easy-to-reach dial that enables a broad range of pre-load adjustment without removing the saddlebags or using tools.
· Front suspension is tuned to accommodate touring and passenger payloads while providing a comfortable ride.
· Detachable 14-inch clear polycarbonate windshield can be adjusted on the forks to match rider height.
· Optimized rider foot location allows easy reach to the ground and to the side stand.
· Mini footboards provide support to the rider for comfort on long rides.
· Black and silver, split five-spoke aluminum wheels with Michelin® Scorcher™ 11T touring tires that are engineered for a touring payload.
· Front turn signals are located on the lower triple tree to increase handlebar adjustment range.
· Lockable saddlebags are covered in durable black vinyl with chrome badges.
· Factory-installed rear docking hardware facilitates installation of an optional luggage rack and sissy bar with backrest.
· Premium glass-filled chrome cloisonné tank badge.
· Chrome-plated headlamp visor, turn signal housings and instrument housing.
· Color choices include: Vivid Black, Candy Orange, and two-tone Birch White/Midnight Pearl.
CHECK OUT OUR FRIENDS AT BIKERNET
29 exact replicas—1 legendary racing champion
NEW! Gnarly Winged Wheel T-shirt